CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- The Weather Photographer of the Year competition is organised by the Royal Meteorological Society and The Royal Photographic Society [the Organisers].
- The competition is open to everyone, including members of The Royal Meteorological Society (RMetS) and The Royal Photographic Society (RPS) except those directly involved in running the competition.
- Entrants enter the correct age category. The Organisers will verify the ages of those aged 16 and under and selected.
- Entry is free
- You may enter up to 6 single images.
- Entries will be judged individually
- Images must be the sole work of the entrant. All submissions will be removed where any single image is found to be the work of another photographer
- Entrants aged 16 years and under should obtain their parents/guardian permission before submitting images
- Digital manipulation such as brightness, contrast, levels, colour balance, minor sharpening may only be used to optimise the image; other than cropping or dust spots elements may not be removed or added; digital techniques such as focus stacking or HDR are not permitted. Multiple exposures ‘in camera’ are permitted. Images that appear over-manipulated or distort the integrity of the subject will be excluded.
- Winning and selected entrants may be required to provide the original RAW file (or JPG as shot) at the Organisers’ discretion.
- Entries may be made using a camera, smartphone or tablet, digitally or using film. In all cases files (or scans in the case of images on film) must be uploaded to the website. No print submissions will be accepted
- Images that have won a prize in another competition before the competition closing date will not be eligible for a prize
- Images should have been taken within the past three years
- The Society may exclude any images which, in The Society's opinion, are likely to cause offence
- Winning and selected entrants must be able to supply high resolution files for printing within a reasonable period. Where this is not possible the image(s) will be excluded and no award made
- Winning and selected entries will be exhibited to the public
- The competition will close to entries at noon on 7 June 2017
- The winners will be chosen by selectors plus one winner voted by the public utilising the competition website online voting system
- No individual feedback is available and the selectors’ decision is final
- The winning images and selected images will be displayed online shortly after the final selection.
- A selection of images from the winners and final shortlists may be used by the RMetS and RPS in their publications, online and social media channels in connection with the competition and exhibition.
- Selectors will be appointed by the Organisers and short-listing and the final judging will take place during June and July. Successful entrants will be notified by email.
- The Organisers reserve the right not to award prizes if the quality of entries falls below the required standard
- Prizes will be specified on the competition website and the Organisers reserve the right to change these. Any changes will be posted on the website.
- Prizes are not transferable and no alternative will be provided
- The Organisers may hold and process personal information which you are supplying, in relation to each organizing Society or the competition
- The Organisers will not pass on your email address or personal data to any third party
Copyright and Reproduction
- Images entered into the competition must not infringe any copyright or other intellectual property right of any third party
- If the copyright of or other intellectual property rights of any third party have been infringed, then the entrant will indemnify the Organisers in respect of any of third party claims
- The copyright and moral rights remain with the photographer
- The photographer will be credited if the image is used by the Organisers. Credits will be provided by the Organisers to third-parties but they cannot guarantee use
- By entering the competition entrants grant the Organisers a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, and publish for up to three years, images entered into the competition, for the purposes of:
- Publicising and promoting the competition
- the Organisers’ activities, including within their publications, website and social media channels.
- Selected entries may be used on a calendar produced by the Royal Meteorological Society
- Selected entries may be used in the Royal Meteorological Society publication The A to Z of Weather. The RMetS will contact photographers before images are included.
- Other commercial opportunities may exist for photographers to benefit from the use of their images. Where a commercial benefit is likely to arise, permission will be sought by the Owners in advance and Terms and Conditions will be agreed. Examples include prints and third-party licensing
- The Organisers reserve the right not to exhibit selected images
- The Organisers reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition
Acceptance of Conditions of Entry
- Submission of any entry implies acceptance of the Conditions of Entry
- In the event of any dispute with the rules the relationship between the Organisers and the entrants will be decided by the English courts.